Welcome to the GSMST Orchestra Page!
The GSMST orchestra program has four performing orchestras lead by director Dr. David Richardson: Concert Orchestra, Symphonic Orchestra, Philharmonic Orchestra, and Honor Orchestra. One of GSMST's largest organizations, the orchestra program serves approximately 20% of the school and provides a range of musical experiences for students.
Please select one of the options from the drop down menu above to learn about about the GSMST Orchestras.
2019-2020 GSMST Orchestra Audition Requirements
1. SCALE & ARPEGGIO REQUIREMENTS
- Violin - A Major and G melodic minor (any bow pattern, any tempo), 3 octaves
- Viola - D Major and C melodic minor (any bow pattern, any tempo), 3 octaves
- Cello - D Major and C melodic minor (any bow pattern, any tempo), 3 octaves
- Bass - F Major and G melodic minor (any bow pattern, any tempo), 2 octaves
2. SIGHT READING (a brief sight reading excerpt will be given following standard GMEA sight-reading procedures)
3. EXCERPTS - perform 2 excerpts for the appropriate ensemble:
SYMPHONIC and PHILHARMONIC excerpts (both Symphonic and Philharmonic will use the same excerpts - all instrumental excerpts in PDF file - 2 excerpts per instrument)
Viola excerpt 1 - QN=88
Viola excerpt 2 - DQ=80
HONORS excerpts (all instrumental excerpts in PDF file - 2 excerpts per instrument)
Viola excerpt 2 - HN=90
2019-2020 Audition Results
Below are the audition results for 2017-18. Thank you to everyone who auditioned. Remember, if you are unhappy with your audition results the best thing to do is KEEP TRYING! Don't let one bad audition get you down. Out of fairness to other students, no requests to re-audition will be granted.
The ensemble selection was based on a number of factors (e.g. ensemble balance, scheduling concerns, etc), not just the simple score. Dr. Richardson reserves the right throughout the school year to move students between ensembles as needed or it if becomes clear through student performance the audition result was incorrect.
Audition results are listed by ensemble, alphabetically by last name. If your name is not present and you auditioned, you will be placed in the Concert Orchestra.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Richardson